On Thursday 4th September 2014, we celebrated our 60th anniversary. This landmark event allowed us to proudly reflect on the history of Durapipe UK manufacturing high quality plastic pipework systems over the last 60 years.
During this period of time, our business has visibly changed and evolved dramatically from the company that was originally started in West Drayton to manufacture low density polyethylene pipe back in 1954.
Product innovation and development within plastic pipework has remained at the core of our operation over the last 60 years, with our customers being the mainstay of our business and its progression from the outset.
A brief history of Durapipe
- Durapipe and Fittings Ltd is formed in West Drayton and moves into the emerging thermoplastic industry
- Featured in Financial Times for supplying pipework to South Africa for construction of gold mines
- Founder member of plastics pipe society
- 1st UK pipe manufacturer to exhibit at New York plastics exposition show
- Durapipe re-locates to Cannock, Staffs and begins manufacturing from the current site
- Air-line Xtra brand is launched for compressed air due to lack of steel pipes during the 3-day working week
- Glynwed purchases Durapipe and other international companies and Glynwed International is named
- FIP is acquired by Glynwed & FIP valves are added to the range
- Durapipe Petrol-line (PLX) is launched
- Durapipe piping is supplied to provide continual spray to the Mary Rose restoration project
- Vulcathene is combined into Durapipe S&LP
- Etex (later becoming Aliaxis) purchases Glynwed Pipesystems (Durapipe)
- New VKD range of ball valves are launched
- Durapipe SuperFLO is supplied for air conditioning at British Museum in London
- Durapipe PLX is supplied as part of the construction of the Beijing Olympics
- Durapipe Guardian dual contained PVC-U pipework is launched